Friday, April 7, 2023

23K Gold in Mokume Gane

Ah, the luster of real gold! There are several different metal leaf products available for use with polymer and other art mediums. I enjoy using them, and usually use the composite products. But once in a while, I splurge and get the "real thing." The pendant to the left and earrings below were made using 23K gold leaf in a mokume gane stack. You can tell immediately when real gold leaf is being used compared to the composite versions. The composite versions crackle and split when rolled and pressed in polymer. Actual gold leaf stays intact. It almost looks like the gold melted and flowed while the piece was curing. I love the look. The pendant and a pair of earrings shown here were both made from the same mokume gane stack. Compare this look to the red pendant I posted on March 27th, and you can see the difference. Do you see why I really like the 23K gold?

No comments:

Post a Comment