Monday, July 24, 2023

Seashore Polymer Pictures

It's summer and people are heading to the seashore here in Connecticut and Rhode Island. Thinking of some of the lovely seashells along the coast, I decided to make some small framed pictures out of polymer. Here are my first pieces. The Nautilus shell to the left is lying on a polymer background I made to look like it was lying on the sand at the edge of the waves receding. The sand is textured and the speckled effect was done with embossing powders. The water is translucent clay light tinted with embossing powder and a touch of blue/gray clay. Though I like this piece a lot, I still need to work on the white edge of the water.... The piece below is also mounted on a polymer background, this one made from transluscent and colored clay with some gold leaf mixed in. All the shells are polymer, and the seastar was highlighted with gold acrylic paint. I will have to play around with other approaches to a seastar. This one is fun, but it's not as realistic as the other shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment