Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Polymer Abstract Hollow Form

At Clayathon 2019, I had the opportunity to take a 2-day workshop with Helen Wyland-Malchow.  It was a fantastic class!  Helen's instruction was clean, clear, and precise, with lots of smiles tossed in. We made these outstanding free-form hollow "boxes" -- no two were alike.  I loved the slab construction Helen taught.  She has been a high school art teacher, and she brought her skills in teaching and in art and creativity to construction in polymer.  If you get a chance to take a class from Helen, do so!  It was really fun and I learned techniques I'd never seen before.

Since it took us 2 days, there is just too much to explain.  However, I think a couple of photos will give you an idea of what we did. The veneer designs were our own. I decided to make an Ikat stack that I feathered on one side.  We also made little "lids" for our forms.  Mine was really quite small compared to the hollow form.  In the first photo, the lid is in place.  In the second photo, it's lying in front of the form.  We all had lots of fun coming up with designs, shapes, and making the whole thing work!


No comments:

Post a Comment