Saturday, April 25, 2015

Necklace #2: Flowering Vine

Although this type of sectional design has been used in necklaces in a variety of different mediums, this is the first time I've tried it myself.  I like the way the sections move and change size, while the pattern or design flows from one section to the next.

I love flowers and vines, and thought they'd work well in a sectional design.  Of course, I had to make a Skinner blend for the base.  The vines continue from one piece to the next.  I chose to make the background move from light on the ends to dark in the middle, while the vines start with just leaves at the ends and progress to blossoms with variegated colors as we move toward the center.

The closer view below shows the texture on the base. Perhaps you can also see there is a leaf and a flower that extend a bit beyond the base pieces.  I wasn't sure how that would work with pieces that were hooked together and moving.  Now that I've made this piece, I plan to make others and extend more of the decorative components beyond the base.  I think it adds interest and more dimension.


No comments:

Post a Comment