Monday, January 28, 2013

Some New Shapes

Sometimes, I just like to play around and see what transpires.  I'd made a mica shift Skinner blend for a demonstration, then needed to make something with the sheet.  This necklace and earrings were the result.  A new shape, and I like the simplicity of the pearls.

Next I was in the mood for some black and white, so made a mokemu gane stack with black, white, silver and silver leaf.  Of course I needed to do something with it - thought I'd share some of the shapes I've come up with.   This first set is composed of 3 layers of triangles, each layer with a different treatment.  There is silver mica shift, the multi-color mokemu gane and black textured.

These earrings are open at the sides and the shape clasps an object at the bottom. The black pair has pearls while the mokemu gane pair holds jet crystals.

This last pendant is a curved triangle with a smooth, solid backing.  I like the neck cording, but haven't quite decided if that's going to be "it" or not.

I've a few more in the oven - I'll be sharing  more later.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

More Play with Alcohol Inks - & New Stamps!

Back in November, I shared with you several examples of various experiments using metal leaf and alcohol inks. I put the metal leaf away, but have been drawn to play some more with the inks.  In addition, I decided to try my hand at some stamping. I've never done scrapbooking, and have never really used stamps as a part of polymer  - so this is new for me.  All of these pieces started with a base of white clay on black that I cut and baked first, before doing anything else - which is also a departure from my norm....

This first photo is a set of shapes with just alcohol inks. I'm going to have to give them a gentle protective coat of some sort, probably matte, since that's the way they seem to "want" to be.  I did not let the colors pool or sit against each other very much.  Instead, I dropped just a bit of color and dabbed it up quickly with a tissue.  I kept playing, adding and subtracting color, until I liked the result.  Each piece has been given a textured, wrap-around back and edging.  I don't know if I'll add anything else to these, or not.  Right now, I'm enjoying looking at the colors.

Then I took some alcohol-colored backgrounds, and gave them a simple inked stamp.  These have been sealed with a matte varnish to protect the alcohol background and stamped ink from smearing. I love the subtle feel these pieces have.  I think that a couple of them look almost antique in some ways.  You'll notice I moved into new color-ways, too. There is something very peaceful about working with the inks in this manner.

Lastly, I went "all out" - these pieces have an alcohol base, a layer of translucent cane slices, stamped images and a final coating of resin. They have a layered look with depth the other pieces do not have.  Also, they are quite shiny.  I suppose it's a matter of preference.  I've enjoyed making them all!

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hollow Donuts! & Signature Stamp

Hollow donuts have intrigued me for a while. They have great dimension, and are lighter weight than a filled piece. I looked at a few online donut tutorials, and particularly liked the one by Fulgorine.  The first piece is made with the patchwork surface design.  I like the way the crushed silk ribbon looks with the donut shape.

The next donuts were made with a cane based on one from Marcia Tzigelnik.  She has some excellent cane tutorials. This one in particular seems to lend itself to donut shapes. The purple piece is a bit more oval, while the teal donut is a definite drop shape.

The red donut is a hexagon and has triangular matching earrings.

Last - here is a new twist.  Each of these donuts has my signature stamp!  These are the first pieces I've ever signed.  I finally got around to getting a small signature stamp made.  I used the logo that I have on my earring cards, and I think it's just about perfect.  The signature is in calligraphy done by my husband, and is composed of my initials, K Y F.  The "Y" is my maiden name, and forms the link between the K and the F.  Here is a sample of  the stamps on the back of the red donut. Fun!

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Torn Patchwork - A Variation on a Theme

One of the first surface techniques I ever experimented with was the watercolor technique developed by Maggie Maggio.  A variety of directions for this technique can now be found on several web sites.  It uses a Skinner blended sheet layered over sheets of white and black.  The pieces are rolled thin, then torn apart and recombined in a random pattern.  The result is always unique, and the process is a lot of fun.
I was looking through some of my canes, and it occurred to me that using the same layered and torn process with canes that have stripes of sorts might create a different look.  As I worked on this, the resultant sheets looked to me like torn patchwork quilting, so that's what I decided to call it.
Each of the different canes I used were created in the same manner, so these patchwork pieces have a similar look.  You may also have noticed that I've been experimenting with a couple of new twists for a New Year.