Sunday, January 20, 2013

More Play with Alcohol Inks - & New Stamps!

Back in November, I shared with you several examples of various experiments using metal leaf and alcohol inks. I put the metal leaf away, but have been drawn to play some more with the inks.  In addition, I decided to try my hand at some stamping. I've never done scrapbooking, and have never really used stamps as a part of polymer  - so this is new for me.  All of these pieces started with a base of white clay on black that I cut and baked first, before doing anything else - which is also a departure from my norm....

This first photo is a set of shapes with just alcohol inks. I'm going to have to give them a gentle protective coat of some sort, probably matte, since that's the way they seem to "want" to be.  I did not let the colors pool or sit against each other very much.  Instead, I dropped just a bit of color and dabbed it up quickly with a tissue.  I kept playing, adding and subtracting color, until I liked the result.  Each piece has been given a textured, wrap-around back and edging.  I don't know if I'll add anything else to these, or not.  Right now, I'm enjoying looking at the colors.


Then I took some alcohol-colored backgrounds, and gave them a simple inked stamp.  These have been sealed with a matte varnish to protect the alcohol background and stamped ink from smearing. I love the subtle feel these pieces have.  I think that a couple of them look almost antique in some ways.  You'll notice I moved into new color-ways, too. There is something very peaceful about working with the inks in this manner.

Lastly, I went "all out" - these pieces have an alcohol base, a layer of translucent cane slices, stamped images and a final coating of resin. They have a layered look with depth the other pieces do not have.  Also, they are quite shiny.  I suppose it's a matter of preference.  I've enjoyed making them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment