Friday, January 4, 2019

Bargello as Embellishment

Hello and Welcome to 2019!  I do hope this year brings good things your way. I also hope you have a chance to stretch your creativity "wings", and have fun playing with polymer or whatever medium you enjoy the most.




As I mentioned in a post a couple of weeks ago, I have just begun exploring bargello from a different angle than is usual.  I'm calling it "bargello as embellishment" and I really like both the process and the end result.  Using the bargello zig-zag pattern, the hills and valleys of different levels of clay, and slicing the layers quite thin, I can take a really unique and interesting approach to decorating flat polymer sheets.






The various pieces posted here are all pendants.  The bargello embellishment adds a 3-D aspect that is appealing to the eye and to touch.  Some of these pendants have bails ready for a chain while others are still waiting some form of wire, beading or chain to make them wearable.

I have to admit that one of the things I find most tedious is adding some form of findings to finish a piece.  I love the creative aspect of making the surface sheet, design or embellishment, and "setting" the piece through baking. Then I just sort of wish a chain or other method of making the piece wearable would materialize on its own.





I don't know if other jewelry artists feel that way or not.   For me, the best part is when the clay emerges from the oven and it looks just the the way I envisioned.



No comments:

Post a Comment