Friday, March 31, 2023

Micro Stencils

You have most likely heard of Lucy Struncova. Lucy and her father, Jiri Strunc, founded Lucy Clay Tools in 2013 in the Czech Republic. Since then, the company has become well-know for a variety of polymer clay oriented tools, machines, materials for design, and even the excellent magazine, Polymer Week. You can find out a lot about Lucy and the company via google searches. Today, I'd just like to share a couple of pieces I made using what the company calls "micro-stencils."
These are small, thin patterns made of heat-resistant cardboard which an be used as a traditional stencil. In addition, they can be painted or decorated, and - what intrigues me the most - actually incorporated into your own polymer products. So here are some pieces I made using these stencils. They baked in the oven with my clay, and did not become soft or brittle or distorted in any way. They hold paint, glitter and other embellishments well, or can just be left in their original black. I used glitter for the gold, metallic acrylic paint for the silver, and mica powders for the purple. It's a fun way to add texture and interest to your pieces. I love the see-through effect, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment