Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Painting on Polymer with Liquid Watercolor

I tried something new recently. I won't go into too much detail because this particular technique comes from a tutorial by Debbie Crothers. Her tutorials are well-done, and she has some unique approaches to both using and embellishing polymer. Every once in a while, I find a tutorial that piques my interest. This particular tutorial, which she calls "Silkwater" introduced me to both a new product and a new idea. I had never thought about watercolor paints on polymer. It just seemed they would be too runny and difficult to control. Debbie has found a way to manage that issue. The tutorial also introduced me to a product I had not heard of before: liquid watercolors. There are different brands with different features. I totally enjoyed "playing" and getting comfortable with their use.
Here's a photo of some pieces I made after experimenting a bit. It's been a lot of fun to try something totally new. I think you can really see the "watercolor" effect. I backed the pieces with black and used black liquid clay as an edging to set the surfaces off just a bit. I used a doming resin, Magic Gloss, to seal the surface. I'm looking forward to doing more!

No comments:

Post a Comment