The first project we all worked on was a little covered tin complete with a lotus flower on top that can be spun by using your fingers. Mari had some tips about pressing the clay onto the tin, and using texture and chalks really hid seams and finger prints well. The little trim was something I added after the first baking. For some reason, the clay pulled down from the rim, and the trim helped to cover the small gap.
The next photo below shows the lotus flower from the top. Mari had made each of us the center of the flower from a mold she had developed herself, and it added the perfect touch. The petals of the lotus flower were all made from an extruded cane. One of the things I found I really liked about these extruded petals is they held their shape and were consistent. The design might change slightly from one end of the extruded cane to the other, but the resulting flowers were lovely and realistic and a bit more "polished" than the petals I make from canes by hand.
The third pair used a different basic cane as well as a different disk in the extruder. The leafy shape of the extrusion adds real interest to the flower petals.
The other bracelet was made from an extrusion on the large 2-in-1 extruder using a 5 petal disc. One thing I discovered when making this particular extrusion was the effect of putting old and new clay together in the extruder. I had some older antique gold clay in with some newer colored clay. The old clay made funny little bumps and broke up in some places, adding an interesting texture to the whole extrusion. It doesn't show up too well on the picture of the bracelet, but these individual bead pieces show the bumps and "broken" spots pretty well.