Tuesday, February 26, 2019

New Alcohol Inks for March

A couple of weeks ago, I presented a class on using alcohol inks with composite metal leaf and polymer.  It was the first class held in our new meeting place near Amston Lake, and everyone seemed to have a good time.  Personally, I think it's hard not to have a good time when you get to play with polymer. ;)  
Scattered about this posting are some of the pieces I made from the sheets I developed as part of the demonstration.  The unusual shape to the left looks a bit Moroccan to me.  I really liked the way the various colors of alcohol ink managed to move against each other, while staying bright and vibrant.  The addition of Magic Gloss after baking really helped the colors and the crackle pattern pop.  Below are two pendants, one using black polymer as a base and as edging, the other using white polymer for base and edge.  It's interesting to see how the color that outlines the piece changes the tone and appearance.



These gold tone earrings were made with gold composite metal leaf and tangerine and ginger alcohol inks. The edging is hand painted with gold leaf paint.

Here are two more pieces, both without edging.  The 3-piece pendant on the left is on white polymer, the curved teardrop pieces on the right are on black polymer.



2 comments:

  1. Dear Kristie
    Those colours look so bright and vivid. I have not been all that successful with my experiments using alcohol inks and polymer, but I think I need to have another try. I am going to be using alcohol inks in my paper crafting too, so it may be an ideal time to have another go!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI, Ellie! I have found that sometimes I need to go back and add just a drop more color. What I did on some of these pieces was to wait for the sheet to dry, cut out the shapes, and get them all set for baking. Then I added just a small drop or color, off a toothpick in some cases, and quickly dabbed up any that was too much to avoid the black line that sometimes forms when the ink is too much. I found it added just enough depth and brightness, and made the colors look much better. Good luck!

      Delete