Friday, August 15, 2014

Rainy Day Clay Play

We had one of those seasonal monsoons that periodically pass through New England, and everyone was stuck inside. Even our poor dogs kept checking every door to see if the rain had stopped in at least part of the yard.  So, in between keeping them somewhat happy with games and trainings indoors, I spent some time twisting and twirling clay scraps from cane ends.  Once I had several slender striped snakes, I rolled them up in circular "rugs."  The pieces seemed to need just a bit more, so I added bits and pieces of shapes for interest.  I don't know what I'll do with them, but it was fun watching them take shape in my hands.

That's one more great thing about clay - you can sit down to just look at the clay, then you start touching it, and before long, you're drawn into messing around.  I find this sort of clay play especially fun. Since there is no pre-conceived plan or idea, you don't know what you'll have at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment