Wednesday, March 22, 2017

New! Wine Glass ID Rings

A couple of months ago, I decorated some wine classes with polymer. I really liked the effect, and thought it rather elegant and fun.  It seemed this might also be a way, depending on the design used, to help designate the difference between wine glasses in a group. Making them takes time, and washing them should be done by hand.  I wanted something faster and simpler.  I came across the idea of wine glass rings, and decided to give them a try.

These are fun to make and the design possibilities are endless.  Because polymer is so lightweight, it doesn't interfere with the balance of the glass.  Keeping the charms on the ring large enough to be easily spotted, but not too large, makes drinking from the glass easy.  Then the glass can rest safely on a table, waiting for it's owner to return. Since I'd been playing with the Tandy leather stamp tools and the fun-shaped cutters I'd been using to make the Moroccan beads, I decided to make the wine glass charms using these tools.  I baked them on a slightly curved surface, which gives the charms a bit of a 3-D look.

The rings holding the charms open quickly and slip around the stem of a wine glass.  I bent the end slightly to help keep the rings closed when in use.  If you decide to whip up a few ID rings and charms before your next gathering, let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment